VNAA 34th Annual Meeting
April 6-8, 2016
Hyatt Regency Miami
400 South East Second Avenue
Miami, Florida 33131
VNAA is excited to have you present at the 34th Annual Meeting. Below you will find all the information needed to plan for your participation in the conference. Please stay tuned to this page for more updates as we get closer to the conference.
If you have any questions regarding the meeting, please contact Heather Corbin at 571-527-1534 or [email protected]
- Basic Information
- Conference Registration
- Hotel Reservations
- Audiovisual Information
- Copyright Information
- PowerPoint Information
- Poster Presentation Information
- Handout Information
- Additional Information
On the first day of the conference, please check in at the VNAA registration desk, located in the Upper Promenade (located at the bottom of the escalator by the windows overlooking the Riverwalk). Please let the registration staff know that you are a speaker and need to pick up your speaker information sheet. Your information sheet will let you know which room you will be presenting in, as well as any additional information that may be relevant. We also ask that you arrive at your presentation room 10-15 minutes prior to the start of your session with your presentation on a USB flash drive.
You must register for the conference in order to present your paper or poster. Presenters receive a 50% discount off their registration fee. Please use the registration link and discount code provided in the speaker confirmation email to receive this discount.
The Hyatt Regency Miami is the host hotel for the 34th Annual Meeting. VNAA has secured a limited block of rooms at the host hotel at a discounted rate of $189/night for single/double occupancy (plus applicable taxes and fees) for reservations made by March 4, 2016, on a space available basis. After March 4th, or once the block is filled, a higher rate may apply. Once you've registered for the conference, your confirmation email will provide additional information on how to reserve your room at the discounted rate.
Note: VNAA is not responsible for making your hotel reservations.
Each presentation room has the following audiovisual equipment:
- PC Compatible laptop computer (Please Note: Computers are only available for use during your presentation time, not before or after.)
- Podium with microphone
Please bring a flash drive with your presentation to the conference. VNAA staff will not have your presentation files onsite.
Note: All laptops are PC compatible. If your presentation requires a MAC computer, we suggest you bring a MAC laptop and cables with you. We do not have the capacity to run programs that require a MAC system.
It is very important that you obtain permission to reproduce any copyrighted materials. This includes any materials outside of the public domain: graphs, charts, logos (including hospital and university logos), screenshots, cartoons, audio, movie clips, etc. VNAA requires that you provide copies of correspondence granting permission when necessary.
Additional resources for copyright and citation information that you may find helpful:
- Copyright and Use Guidelines for Teachers
- APA Style Reference Guides
To remain in compliance with ANCC continuing education requirements, all PowerPoint presentations must be submitted to VNAA staff for review no later than March 9, 2016. Presentations submitted will be uploaded to the VNAA conference app in PDF format for attendees to access before, during, and after the meeting. If you do not wish to include your presentation in the app, please notify VNAA staff as soon as possible.
When developing your presentation, please use the following guidelines:
Please use the VNAA slide template for your Annual Meeting presentation. Click here to download the VNAA template.
- In the template, there are slides for disclosures, learning objectives and references. These MUST be updated to remain in compliance with ANCC guidelines for continuing education.
- You must include references for all images and evidence-based content.
- If you have tables/graphics that take up the full slide please keep that background all white and insert it into the slide template.
- Please make the font large enough for attendees to read. Don't overload a slide with large amounts of text in a small font.
- Do not number pages or slides.
- We recommend that you include your contact information with your presentation so that attendees can contact you with questions and/or comments following the presentation.
- If your presentation requires sound or contains a video clip, please email Heather Corbin with the details (file type, size, etc.) at [email protected] no later than March 16, 2016. We will then notify the AV technicians that they will need to check your presentation once it is uploaded at the meeting to ensure everything is working correctly.
General Tips for Slides & Presenting
- Use a reasonable size font (size 18-24).
- Follow the 6x6 or 7x7 rule (lines per slide and words per line)
- Do not read directly from your slides! The powerpoint should be a bulleted guide, not complete sentences.
- If you are using a chart/table/graph in your slides, be sure it is readable for the audience or, consider putting it on a separate handout for attendees to download & print before the session.
- Make sure you use citations and have gotten any copyright permissions (see Copyright Information above)
- Remember to cite all images!
- Use spell check & grammar check
- Be mindful of plagiarism
To remain in compliance with ANCC continuing education requirements, all poster presentations must be submitted electronically to VNAA staff for review no later than March 9, 2016. Posters submitted will be uploaded to the conference app in PDF format for attendees to access before, during, and after the meeting. If you do not wish to include your presentation in the app, please notify VNAA staff as soon as possible.
Poster sessions will be held during the following times:
April 6, 2016
- 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (During Welcome Reception)
April 7, 2016
- 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. (During Participant Breakfast)
- 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. (During Lunch Session)
You must be present at your poster during the posted hours.
- Posters will be on 4 foot tall x 6 foot wide boards.
- We recommend that you make your poster one of the following sizes: 3' x 5', 3.5' x 5', or 4' x 5'. This allows a little extra space on the board for posting up business cards, abstracts for people to take with them, extra references, etc. You should include some references on your poster itself, but depending on how many you have, you could also have a separate sheet that you include with your poster.
- Push pins will be provided.
- There will be no tables or chairs.
- Click here to visit a site that has poster templates available for free. They include the size for which the template is designed.
- Order your poster to be printed online or have it printed at a store. Be sure to contact the store ahead of time to make sure they are able to print in the size you need.
- Guides for Poster Creation: This site goes through recommendations for planning, focus, layout, headings, graphics, text, colors, etc.
VNAA does not produce hard copy handouts for participants. If you wish to provide a hard copy of your presentation to the attendees of your session, please make 100 copies to ensure that all participants can take a copy. All presentations received by VNAA are loaded into the VNAA meetings app in PDF format for attendees to access before, during, and after the meeting. If you do not wish to include your presentation in the app, please notify VNAA staff as soon as possible.
If you have any questions that were not answered here, please contact Heather Corbin by email ([email protected]) or phone (571-527-1534).