The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced the full implementation of the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS) edits on ordering/referring providers in Medicare Part B, DME, and Part A home health agency (HHA) claims. Phase 2 denial edits will begin January 6, 2014. These edits will check the following claims for a valid individual National Provider Identifier (NPI) and deny the claim when this information is invalid:
- Claims from suppliers of Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) for ordered DMEPOS; and
- Claims from Part A Home Health Agencies (HHAs).
2014 HIS Training SessionsCMS will host a series of provider trainings for the HIS in February and May 2014.
Trainings will be divided into two sessions:
- HIS data collection training: will be held over two half-day sessions on Feb. 4 and 5, 2014 in the afternoon.
- This training will be geared towards teaching hospice providers how to complete the HIS-Admission and HIS-Discharge. The training will cover each item in the HIS, including instruction on how to complete each item, examples for each item, and a question and answer session.
- The training will be video-streamed live online on Feb. 4 and 5. The training will also be video recorded and will be posted on the CMS HQRP website at a later date for provider viewing and download. Limited on-site attendance at this training will also be available.
- HIS Technical training: will be held in May 2014, exact date TBD.
- This technical training for hospice providers and vendors will cover topics such as registration, obtaining user IDs, submitting files to the QIES ASAP system, and reviewing final validation reports. Details about the date, time, and delivery method of this training are not yet available. Providers should check the CMS HQRP website (link below) for updates.